Across the Universe

Reader: Sophie D
Age: 15
Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razor Bill
Pub Date: March 2011
Galley: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This book surprised me. I didn't expect to like it, but then the mystery started to reveal itself and I started noticing all the creepy aspects of the ship. I didn't anticipate where the plot was going, and when the conflict appeared, I had no idea how it would solve itself. The ending was unexpected and fitting.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The best part is all the weird things happening on the ship. From Elder's point of view, everything seems normal, but from Amy's point of view, you know there is something seriously wrong. The book is really original and very well thought out. All in all, it was a very refreshing read.
Were you disappointed with the book: I found the alternating perspective a little confusing at times, but as it is central to the plot, I think that's ok.
Cover: I am really not attracted to this cover. I think it makes the book seem way more fluffy and girly than it actually is. You would never guess, from this cover, that the book is a disturbing story about a twisted, lying society on a spaceship. You would guess it was some cheeesy romance. If the cover was changed to something that fit the book better, I think a lot more people would want to read it.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most

No comments: