To All the Boys I've Loved Before - YA Review by Brooke H


Reader: Brooke H.
Age: 15
Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 04/22/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I thought this book was pretty good.  I thought the author did a really great job with character development, and the plot, while being a bit cliche, still had some unique points to it.  The family dynamic was also really sweet.  It was great that the author didn't focus solely on the boys the main character loves/loved.  I thought this was the perfect book for when you are feeling like a cute, fun read.  One thing I didn't like was that the story seemed to have unnecessary parts, or more often, parts that ran on unnecessarily.  This wasn't a big deal though, because it wasn't enough to lose my interest, and I can see how these particular parts may have helped with the development of the characters and their relationships.
Memorable or Forgettable: The most memorable thing for me was, without a doubt, the characters.  They were all so lovable and the author definitely had me rooting for them.  The main character was relatable and easy to connect to,  and the other characters that interacted with her, like her family and the boys who received the letters, were well-rounded to the point where I could definitely picture them as real people.
Cover: I didn't love the cover of the book, but I didn't not like it either.  It didn't turn me on or off to the book.  It did reflect the story, though.  The book was all about the letters the main character wrote and the consequences of those letters, so the girl writing a letter on the cover clearly matched this.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  contemporary / realistic fiction / romance / ya lit



No comments: