The Cellar - YA Review by Pazao L


Reader: Pazao L.
Age: 13
Title: The Cellar
Author: Natasha Preston
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pub Date: 03/01/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book:  I thought this was a good book for those people who don't mind a little killing and violence. The Cellar had a lot violent killing scenes that were very well explained and detailed; in other words, it was disturbing for me. Other than those particular scenes, I really enjoyed the book. I thought the plot line was very unique and interesting. I could not put the book down, except when it came to the more disturbing scenes. I sort of liked how Natasha changed from one perspective to another, but there were some parts that I was confused about whose view it's from. Something that kept me reading was the fact that the characters had a goal to reach and were working on the succeeding. The main character was pretty well explained. I liked her, but I thought that she was sort of rushed. I also thought the supporting characters weren't developed enough, like Lewis and the girls in the cellar with her. I liked how Natasha allowed us to view Clover's thoughts and feelings and not just Summer's, the main character. I felt like the characters were very natural and realistic, and I would like to get to know some of them. I am really glad I got the chance to read The Cellar because it made me aware of my surroundings.
Memorable or Forgettable:  I think the part I will remember the most would be all the violence because I am not used to reading these kinds of books, and it diversifies my reading logs.
Cover: Covers are usually the first thing I look at before I actually read the description. The cover of The Cellar was very cool and interesting. I thought it really reflected the book and was a good choice. I read The Cellar on Wattpad, and I think the original cover that Natasha had was better looking.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  mystery / thriller / contemporary / realistic fiction / ya lit



No comments: