The Prince of Venice Beach - YA Review by Pazao L


Reader: Pazao L.
Age: 13
Title: The Prince of Venice Beach
Author: Blake Nelson
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 06/03/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book:  I really liked this book. It was one of the best almost published books I have read in a very long time. I love the main character, Cali. He was very real and I felt like I was there with him on his journey. I also loved the plot of this story. It's about a topic no other author writes about. It's unique and different, and that's a positive thing. I learned quite a lot about the life of how a runaway lives. It also changed my stereotype that all runaways are not smart and are doing the wrong thing. Everything in this book was realistic. There was nothing about it that seemed fake or unreal. I didn't really enjoy the ending, but it had to happen, so what am I going to do to stop it? The ending is not what I thought it would be, but it was still good. Overall, this book is amazing!
Memorable or Forgettable: I really loved everything about this book and I don't think I will ever forget it.
Cover: The cover is really good. It really made me want to finish the book. It also really reflected the contents.
Age Range: 12 through 15
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it
Annotation:  A runaway boy, Cali, living on the streets of Venice Beach, playing ball with other runaways, and solving cases for private detectives who either can't do their jobs, or are too lazy to do it. He has friends, who are basically his family, and then strangers he meets and greets on the streets. He gets a hard case from a detective and has to decide whether or not he should continue to work for him with a help of a friend he makes on the way.

tags:  mystery / realistic fiction / contemporary / ya lit



No comments: