Nearly Gone - YA Review by Kit K


Reader: Kit K.
Age: 16
Title: Nearly Gone
Author: Elle Cosimano
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 03/25/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book:  Kim Harrington said, "Start this book with a clear schedule because you won't be able to put it down." I only wish I took her seriously.

I couldn't resist this book; Elle Cosimano's writing is delectable and I was a hungry reader. The quick pacing, the realistic portrayal of the main character, and the fascinating plot line combined to create one helluva novel. I adored the author's writing style, moving speedily and intelligently formed, there was something about it that drew me in far too easily.

I loved to see the clues come together in Nearly's mind as I tried to solve the case with her, as well as the slow but definite development of the character represented by her mother. However, there were also some aspects that I just couldn't connect with as a reader.

Firstly, I couldn't stand the idea that when she touched people she could taste their feelings. It was too paranormal for a book that took place in the natural world, and had nothing out there enough to match it. It was a great idea, but didn't fit with this story.

Secondly, I didn't feel the relationship between Nearly and Reece. It was moving too fast for something I couldn't see a connection in. I wasn't really feeling the chemistry. It would have made more sense to me if they had a brother-sister relationship rather than a romantic one. Though I would definitely change my mind on that topic if there were more scenes between the two that established a romantic connection.

All in all, excellent book! It was a wonderful novel to introduce me into the literary world of murder mystery, and I hope to see another work by Cosimano in the near future.
Memorable or Forgettable:  This book was the first YA murder mystery I've read. I don't know if that's because of my choices in deciding on novels or a lack of the sub genre, but this fact earned Nearly Gone a firm claim on my memory.
Cover:  The cover was beautiful. I loved the fading typography, the numbers represented in the title that mirrored the markings of the dead bodies described within the story, the dark blue hues. It could have had an image, however, that matched some key idea in the book, like the personal ads or a body with a marking on it, but it still stood out to me in a positive way.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal
Additional Comments:   I gave the story a "Some teen appeal" rating because I don't have many teenage friends who would originally be drawn to this book due to its murder/crime/mystery plot, but I would still recommend this book.
Annotation:  Teenagers, murder and mystery unite to create Elle Cosimano's Nearly Gone. Nearly Boswell's already messed-up world takes a turn for the worse when a killer begins to leave clues only she seems to be able to decipher. With the police following her ever step, Nearly must solve the case before the killer can finish framing her for his crimes.

tags:  mystery / thriller / ya lit



No comments: