Doon - YA Review by Claire W



Reader: Claire W.
Age: 12
Title: Doon
Author: Carey Corp, Lorie Langdon
Publisher: Blink
Pub Date: 8/27/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Every chapter the point of view switched since they didn't repeat events. Sometimes I wanted to know where Ve was but the chapter was about Kenna. The other thing was Ve really changes and becomes happier but Kenna seems to get more and more unhappy even though she finds a really really nice boyfriend. I didn't find the dialogue hard to understand since I lived in Scotland for a year but I think other people might have.
Memorable or Forgettable: I loved the plot; it was similar to other things I had read but with a twist. I also haven't read very many books that describe the scene so well. The descriptive language was just amazing.
Cover: The cover was the reason I picked up the book. The cover was just beautiful and done so so so well.
Age Range: 12 through 15
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation:  Veronica (nickname Ve) just wants to get away from her life and now she has an opportunity to get out of the country. Her best friend Mackenna (nickname Kenna) grew up in Scotland and wants to go back this summer. So Ve decides to tag along and get away from her bad life at home. Once they get to Scotland Ve starts seeing a very handsome boy in a kilt but no one else can. Now she is starting to wonder if the legend about Doon may be true.

tags:  fantasy / magic / romance / A Doon novel / ya lit





No comments: