The Tragedy Paper - YA Review by Katie J.


Reader: Katie J.
Age: 13
Title: The Tragedy Paper
Author: Elizabeth LaBan
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 01/08/13
Galley: No
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I had heard some great things about this book from a lot of people, so I thought I should try it. And I'm happy to say, this book didn't disappoint. The writing was amazing. I felt like I was Duncan. I felt like I was sitting in the dorm, listening to Tim. I felt like I could relate to both of them.
This book is about Duncan, who attends Irving school. Every year, the seniors have to write The Tragedy Paper, which they have to pass in order to graduate. Duncan gets to listen to Tim's version of the Tragedy through CDs. When he listens to them, he starts coming up with ideas for his Paper, while listening how the Games were planned, and how everything happened the year that Tim graduated.
If I had to choose one thing to change about this book, I would put in more about the Game. The book didn't explain it that well, which I found very frustrating. Other than that, this was a great book.
Memorable or Forgettable:  It was memorable because it was very relatable.
Cover: I really liked the cover, although I didn't think it related to the book very well.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it
Additional Comments: GO READ IT!!!
Annotation: While preparing for the most dreaded assignment at the prestigious Irving School, the Tragedy Paper, Duncan gets wrapped up in the tale of Tim Macbeth, a former student, who had a secret relationship with the wrong girl, and Duncan's own ill-fitted one with Daisy.

tags: contemporary / realistic fiction / romance / mystery / school stories / boarding schools / ya lit




No comments: