Tandem - YA Review by Perrin S.


Reader: Perrin S.
Age: 15
Title: Tandem
Author: Anna Jarzab
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 10/08/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: The plot was very engaging and I was never really bored while reading this. The author thew in plot twists that I didn't see coming and intensity that kept me on my toes. I fell in love with some of the characters because of their unique personality and realistic qualities. And the book left me wanting more without leaving on a cruel cliff hanger, which I really appreciate.
Memorable or Forgettable: The main character, Sasha, was very memorable. She was an interesting character to follow and I could almost always follow her thought processes. She was a great heroine with a logical mind set.
This book had a good sense of humor that not only made me laugh but also tied in well with the story and never felt out of place. I found that a lot of the humor was in the situations the character had to face rather than just the dialogue that was being said. And I loved it. Definitly not something I see in a lot of YA.
Cover: I still don't understand the bird on the cover; the book doesn't really mention birds at all. I couldn't see how the bird would in some way represent the character(s) or the plot. So I'm still confused about why the bird is there. Overall, I thought the cover was dull and kind of faded into the background and didn't reflect the amazing story inside.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation: On the night of her school dance, Sasha was kidnapped, by her date who claimed he was from a parallel world. Sasha tries anything to get home, even if it means clawing her way out or jumping from moving cars, but she soon realizes that her kidnapper might really be from a different world, and he might have dragged her into a different universe. She is forced to take over the life of the princess who just disappeared and convince the princess's loved ones (and not-so-loved ones) that she is someone she's never even met, but Sasha doesn't like playing puppet. And soon she develops her own plans to best her puppeteers at their own game and find her own way home.

tags: science fiction / dystopia / alternate universe / fantasy / romance / high school / mystery / ya lit




No comments: