Solstice - YA Review by Tessa J


Reader: Tessa J
Age: 12
Title: Solstice
Author:  P.J. Hoover
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pub Date: 06/18/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I really did like this book, it was interesting enough for me to read all the way through, which I usually only do for good books. The global heating crisis actually seemed very realistic and probable. The idea of heat bubbles, and domes to protect the city from the sun, were very creative and captured my attention. What I didn't really like as much was how easily Piper fell in love with Shayne, who the reader later finds out is Hades. It seems too cheesy for Piper to immediately be attracted to him at first sight. I would have preferred that they'd gradually fallen in love, so it would be more realistic. I did like the way Greek mythology fit into the global warming problem, which was a creative idea. Global warming and Greek mythology are an interesting mix, which made the book fun to read.
Memorable or Forgettable: Solstice is a memorable book, mostly because of the creative mix of global warming and Greek mythology. The way it was portrayed is really interesting and made me enjoy the book more.
Cover: The cover is very similar to the story, and I actually did decide to check the book out because of the cover. I think it depicts the contents very well.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation Piper lives in Texas in a time when there is a global heating crisis across the whole world, threatening to destroy Earth. On the day she turns 18, her whole life is changed when she finds a world she never knew existed, a world of gods and monsters. Now Piper must find out her true identity before the world spins out of control.

tags:  dystopia / mythology / fantasy / romance / ya lit



No comments: