Mistwalker - YA Review by Brooke H


Reader: Brooke H
Age: 14
Title: Mistwalker
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pub Date: 02/04/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I honestly don’t know whether or not I liked this book.  There were times where I’d be excited by whatever was happening, and I’d want to keep reading, but there were also times where I’d be really bored. Something I liked about the book was how original the concept was; I don’t think that I’ve heard of this type of thing in any other books.  I also liked that Willa (the main character) had something that she really enjoyed and was passionate about, rather than the bland, hobby-less characters you often get in books now. I didn’t like, however, how many fishing concepts and names were used all at once at times without explaining the meaning of said concepts, to the point where I, as someone who doesn’t fish, would get completely lost. I also thought there might be more romance between Grey and Willa, so I was kind of disappointed when nothing really happened there.  I guess it was alright, but I would have liked to see more building of their relationship, romantic or not.  The ending also confused me a bit; I thought that it should have been explained better.  The book wasn’t all bad, though.  I suppose it was pretty good overall. I wouldn’t run to my friends and try to force them to read it, but I wouldn’t say that it was a waste of time either.
Memorable or Forgettable: I thought, even though I wasn't sure how much I liked the book, that it was pretty memorable. The whole concept of the book was very intriguing.
Cover: I really liked the cover for the book! It was interesting, and it reflected what the book was about. If I were looking through the bookshelves at a bookstore and saw it, I would probably pick it up to see what it was about.
Age Range: Under 12 through 13
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

tags:  fantasy / coming of age / ya lit



No comments: