In Trouble


Reader: Payton
Age: 15
Title: In Trouble
Author: Ellen Levine
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab
Pub Date: 08/2011
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I would describe it as an historical fiction, set in the era of Governor McCarthy and his Communist hunt, about teen pregnancy. It may seem like an odd pairing of plot choices, but they work together really well.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I found the most compelling aspect to be the decisions that the main character had to make, given the society that surrounded her, and the strict rules about how girls should be that presided in this era.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes
Reason why you were disappointed: I finished this book in practically one sitting, but I'll admit that that was mostly due to insomnia. It was however a really good book, and certainly a unique one. I know there are a lot of teen pregnancy cautionary tale books out there, but I would wager that most are contemporary.
Cover: The cover is quite interesting. I was drawn to the street sign effect that was used on the title, even though it isn't actually a street sign. The cover didn't really reflect the story, but more the general mood of the book. If I were to change it, I might say have it be set up as a newspaper, as newspapers are rather important to the story.
Age Range: 14-18+
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: