Hush, Hush


Reader: Ada
Age: 17
Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pub Date: 2009
Galley: No
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Fallen angels are a supernatural species that are less celebrated than vampires, werewolves, or zombies but are just as interesting. They also make for great love interest as well, as this book clearly states. The plot has a definite twist in the works, and Fitzpatrick keeps the pages turning with cool character developments. Also, the romance element definitely was there. If you're into that, then this book is a definite yes.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I thought the twist of events at the end of the book was the best part of the novel. Learning who Jules really was came as a genuine shock and an unexpected turn. I also liked the way that Fitzpatrick explained the reason fallen angels possess Nephilim and how they can't feel. I thought that was really unique and clever.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes
Reason why you were disappointed: I didn't think that it was very believable that Nora went from freaking out about Patch being a fallen angel to just going with the flow. When they're in the motel, she says that she has to shut the rational part of her brain off to process the situation. She never seems to turn on that part of her brain again because we never get her for once doubting the fact that Patch is a fallen angel. She doubts his motives for sticking around her and if he wants to kill her but never if he's lying about one of the most crucial pieces to the book's plot. I just thought that was really unrealistic. Even a simple conversation between Nora and Patch in the car driving or something would have satisfied me on the subject. Also, I thought going into the book that I would find out where the title came from, but at the end I was still really confused. Did it come from the fact that Nora couldn't tell anyone about Patch? I have no clue and it kind of bugs me now
Comments: Overall, I would say that this book was good. At times the reality of it got away from the author; however, it was very cleverly put together and turned out well. The ending definitely left room for a sequel which sometimes irritates me with books because it seems like the author is either milking the plot for more money or they don't know how to tie up loose ends, both which annoy me. In this case, I'm okay with there being a sequel. I just hope that the next book has genuine new developments and isn't the author or publisher trying to stretch out a good thing past its expiration date.
Cover: The cover really captivated my attention and was one of the main reasons that I picked it up. After reading the book, the cover made complete sense as the plot is about fallen angels. The cover definitely did its job of capturing the reader's attention and looked really awesome at the same time
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: