Blood Wounds


Reader: Sophie
Age: 13
Title: Blood Wounds
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pub Date: 9/12/11
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: If you hate blood, I would not recommend this to you. There is a scene where the author describes how Willa's father killed his family, and it is in great detail. I am usually not bothered by that type of thing, but this book made me feel like I was there and I definitely was tearing up.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The characters were very believable and so were their reactions to what was going on around them. Willa's step sisters seemed like your typical teenage girl, while Willa was more dark and secretive. Willa was not a very likeable character, but through the book you learned more about her past and you start to learn why she acts the way she does. As you get further in, her secrets are revealed and everything she's been holding back and not telling anyone comes out.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes:
Reason why you were disappointed: I was not disappointed with the writing, but some of the characters, like Willa's step father, didn't appeal to me as much as others. I guess the author wanted some non- likeable people in the book though so it all worked out.
Comments: The book has horror aspects but in the whole it's not a scary book. I think a lot of teens will like that about it.
Cover: The way that the girl is staring from the cover is sorta creepy, at one point I had to turn the book over just so I could fall asleep. The girl on the cover looks like she is angry and sad and confused all at the same time. I guess the girl is supposed to be Willa, but in the book she has different features.
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: