King of the Screw Ups


Reader: Maita L
Age: 16
Title: King of the Screw Ups
Author: K. L. Going
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub Date:
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: It was a great book. Every word is important and hey there’s a good looking boy in it.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I believe the most compelling aspect of the book is the scene when it is Liam's birthday and his father agrees to come see him. But instead of his father showing up it is Sergeant Braddock. I believe that it is here when Liam starts to get that final push of wanting to impress his father that everything
starts to just fall down and unravel.
Comments: Though I am not a teenage boy, I feel that this book is really well written from a teenager’s point of view. In many books the teenage characters seems a bit over the top, but with Liam I feel like he was so real and his problems were actually problems that many teens these days have. I feel a huge connection with Liam to the point where I had tears in my eyes when reading some scenes in the book. What I really love about this book is how K.L. Going shows a bit of Liam's past at the beginning of some chapters so the reader can see how his life has changed and developed through time, which really helps the reader understand what kind of person Liam really is. Therefore the reader can better understand the book. Every single page of this book is remembered long after the last one is read.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: The cover did tempt me to pick up the book. I don't normally see a whole shirt on a cover. Yes the cover reflects the content of the book. I thought the use of the ink marks in a different texture really emphasized the screwing up.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I was absolutely not disappointed.
Age Range: 14-18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it

No comments: