Draw the Dark


Reader: Payton G
Age: 14
Title: Draw the Dark
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Publisher: Carolrhoda Lab
Pub Date: 10/??/2009
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Annotation: Every town has a secret, something that they really want forgotten. For Winter, Wisconsin, it's a murder that happened in the mid 1940s. So what will happen when Christian Cage, who is generally known as the town weirdo, dredges it all back up again?
Recommend: Yes
How would you convince someone to read the book: I would tell them that the plot is really, really good, and it isn't something that's been done three million and seven times before.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: For me, it was the psychic aspect. Most books involving a character with psychic abilities just use ones that have been done before, like telepathy or ESP. The abilities in this one were similar to both of those, but had their own distinctions.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I was sort of disappointed with the main character. He was really sort of whiny and self centered. I was also disappointed with the solving of the murder, because it was very much like pull of the mask and it's the guy you least suspect. Very Scooby Do-esque. Other than that though, I really liked it.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents: I really liked the cover. If I saw this cover on a shelf at the bookstore, I'd definitely pick it up. However, I think I would have preferred to see one of Christian's sketches.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 14-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: