Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

Reader: Payton G
Age: 14
Title: Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
Author: Mizuki Nomura
Publisher: Yen Press
Pub Date: 07/27/2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: No
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I found that the "book girl" eating books was the most interesting thing. I have never tried comparing books to food before, and she did throughout the story, so that was cool.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I was disappointed sort of a lot with this book. It overdosed on plot twists, firstly. I mean, practically every other page the plot thickened and twisted. It got kind of annoying. Also, the title proclaims it to be about the book girl, but it's not. She turns out to be a secondary character, and the plot doesn't even focus on her. There were, like, five suicidal mimes. The story got cut off abruptly and switched back and forth with the suicide note(s) of the mime(s). I could go on. I think a better title would have been "Suicidal Mimes Meet the Book Girl" or even just "Story of the Suicidal Mimes."
Cover: The cover sort of drew me over to it, since it says BOOK GIRL in large letters on the front. However, I missed the part about the suicidal mime and was subsequently less excited about it. I was also a little disappointed that it wasn't a manga, although if it was I would have been annoyed at its backwardness.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 14-17
Quality: 2Q Needs more work
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: