Bones of Faerie

Reader: Megan W
Age: 16
Title: Bones of Faerie
Author: Janni Lee Simner
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Pub Date: 01/27/09
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Does the cover reflect the contents: Even though the cover is extremely simple and plain with only a leaf in the center of a black background, it caught my attention. Only after reading the book does the leaf make sense. It is tied in very well, and it definitely reflects the contents of the book.
Recommend: Yes
How would you recommend the book: At first, I didn't think there was any way that a good story could be told in such a short book, but I was wrong. The story was compelling and easy to follow, and I found it extremely easy to breeze through the pages. The story is about a girl Liza, who grows up in the US after a war between the Faeries and the humans. Years after the war, the magic effects of the faerie's warfare linger. For instance, many children are born with magic, and trees attack people and thirst for blood. Liza grows up in a town that fears magic and kills any that show signs of having it. Liza leaves home to find out more about herself, and also to find her lost mother.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I think I loved this book so much because it is told after a giant war that destroyed America. I don't know what it is, but the eeriness of that captivates me. Although I was a bit confused by what year it was in the book, I guessed that it was in the future, because people talk of cars and electricity and whatnot before the War.
Did you finish the book: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book: This was a very easy book to flip through, and I managed to finish it in two days. I thought the end was kind of rushed, but other than that, it was really good. The characters were developed and fun, and I enjoyed watching Liza grow throughout her story.
Age Range: 14-15
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Comments: All-in-all, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend itto any who want a fascinating faerie tale.

No comments: