Toby Alone

Reader: Annika M
Age: 13
Title: Toby Alone
Author: Timothee de Fombelle
Publisher: Candlewick
Pub Date: 3/24/09
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Did it reflect the contents: The cover of the book is what made me read it. I have always loved the children's book The Giving Tree, and the covers looked vaguely alike. I began reading just because of the coincidence, and then I couldn't stop!
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This is one of the books that is really good, but when you try to explain the plot, it sounds insanely stupid. I would avoid the plot when recommending it, and say it was intriguing, well written, and original.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect of the book was most likely the early plotline. In the beginning, there were several stories and descriptions that just drew me in.
Did you finish the book: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book: I was a tad bit disappointed as I got to the near ending of the book. It seemed to lose a little of its appeal. For example, the prospect of Toby committing suicide just didn't work. For the entire book, I had gotten the idea Toby was a funny, independent, motivated boy. When he tried, I felt almost like I had been cheated.
Age Range: Under 12, 12-13
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Comments: I'm hoping there will be a sequel to Toby Alone, because ofit's HUGE cliffhanger ending.

No comments: