The Stuff of Life

Reader: Briana G
Age: 15
Title: The Stuff of Life
Author: Mark Schultz
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Girox
Pub Date: 01/00/09
Galley: Yes
Did the cover reflect the contents: The cover amused me, it gave insight as to what the contents were and it also gave the hint of an amusing storyline behind the facts.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I don't think one could truly say that there is a compelling aspect to read this book unless it was in place of a class text or one if one is truly interested in genetics. If I had to choose between this and a school text, this would definitely win the vote. It teaches good information in a readable way that most would find very comprehensive. I asked my biology teacher about the information, and he said it would be a very good book to use, even in place of the chapter in the text book. I also, already having had the genetics unit, found this a very good refresher, and I could easily follow along. It was clear and concise, but fun, which is what a lot of learning texts are lacking.
Did you finish the book: Yes
Age Range: 12-13, 14-15
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it
Comments: I would just like to explain my popularity vote. I'm not saying once this book hits shelves, every student is going to line up for one, I'm saying that if given this as a choice for reading in science, most would choose this over anything else.

No comments: