Undecided - YA Review by Guanani



Reader: Guanani
Age: 18
Title: Undecided: Navigating Life and Learning After High School
Author: Genevieve Morgan
Publisher: Zest Books
Pub Date: 04/08/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: By golly! It’s the rare YA non-fiction book! With its relevant title and symbolically attuned cover, Undecided got my attention as soon as I laid eyes on it. As I sink my teeth into the weirdness that is summer before going to college, plenty of questions and anxieties about The Future have slithered through my mind. Luckily, Undecided is here to help, with chapters about figuring out what makes you tick, general information about higher education, other options like volunteering, how to get an hourly job, and thoughts about how to get busy living.
Memorable or Forgettable: This guide was memorable because of its readability and organized, comprehensive content. Morgan’s tone was friendly and in no way condescending, and her advice was complete with common pitfalls to avoid and anecdotes about her own confusion growing up. All in all, this is a comforting and informational guide that I wish I had been able to read last summer before the mind/soul-gobbling application process. I recommend it to nervous or curious high schoolers who want to know more about what’s out there and how to deal with it.
Cover: I really connected with this cover. The vaguely frightening blankness with a pair of red Converse at the bottom is a great way to symbolize the teenage quest to draw something tangible on the canvas of the future, all while being visually appealing.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it

tags:  non-fiction / life after high school / self-discovery / ya lit




No comments: