Killer Instinct - YA Review by Claire W



Reader: Claire W.
Age: 12
Title: Killer Instinct
Author: S.E. Green
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub Date: 05/06/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book was bad. I usually don't read books involving serial killers, but I took a chance this time. I will never read one again. I at least had hoped to be a bit scared after reading this book, but I wasn't at all. The book was poorly written and the "gory or scary" sections were on the edge of "PG" rated.
     The main character, Lane, was uninteresting and sub-parley written. She had no emotion - like the author was trying to make it seem like she was a sociopath, but it just felt like the character was unfinished. For example, Lane makes a fairly big decision in her life, but her attitude toward it is that she just wanted to get it over with. Lane also has way too many opinions.  Everything mentioned in the book was followed by her opinion which also made the book move quite slowly.
     The plot was fairly predictable until the end. The author put a twist in the end. Which I would usually encourage, but not in this case. The twist just felt like a bad late night crime show that goes on for too many seasons. Another mistake in the book was the pace. It moved at a snail's pace. And the only reason I was able to finish it was by reading as fast as I could just to get it over with.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book was completely forgettable because of the quality of writing and the bad plot.
Cover: The pre-publication cover was gross and turned me off the book more than it hooked me.  The cover was changed for publication and the newer cover is okay but not a hook to the reader.
Age Range: 12 through 15
Quality: 1Q How did it get published?
Popularity: 1P Yech! Forced to read it

tags:  thriller / serial killers / ya lit




No comments: