Reader: Sophie D.
Age: 16
Title: Baby's in Black
Author: Amy Bellstorf
Publisher: First Second
Pub Date: 2012
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I would not recommend this book. The drawings are pretty good, but I do not think they do a very good job illustrating the story. Pictures should enhance a story, but even with pictures, this book was just flat.
Memorable or Forgettable: I knew the story already, as it was based on a true story about one of the earliest members of the Beatles, and I was hoping that this book would tell me something I didn;t already know; It didn't really, besides random facts about some of the characters that didn't really need to be included. There are several elemets of the characters' lives, like painting, that are touched on but not fully developed. If they had been fully developed I would have cared more about the characters.
Cover: I like the cover. Maybe John and Paul's faces could have been left off, as they hardly factor into the story.  But I did enjoy the illustrations.
Age Range: 12-15
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm a big fan of Teens Know Best and Raven Boys. Just wanted to point out that it is set in Henrietta, Virginia.

Keep up the great work! :)