Reader: AJ G.
Age: 16
Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Random House
Pub Date: 8/28/2012
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: The story centres around A, who changes bodies each day. A inhabits a new persons life every twenty four hours. Unlimited by gender, race, or orientations of any kind. The only limits are age and relative location. The question posed in the story is whether you can love someone who changes like that? To watch the love interest Rhiannon struggle with that, and to watch A struggle to make their love work is both sad and deeply moving. You wouldn't think that A would be a relatable character, but I found A extremely easy to connect with, because A lives entirely in his mind, and I think we all do that to some extent.
Memorable or Forgettable: The premise of the book was extremely unique. I've never heard of a story like this, and I doubt it's very likely that I'll hear it again. That alone makes it stick out in my mind, along with it being so well written. David Levithan never dissappoints. This book literally did make me laugh and cry all at the same time.
Cover: I liked the cover from a visual standpoint, but not related to the story. It's really quite beautiful. But I think that there's a huge gap between the cover and the content. It definitely drew my eye, but after reading the story I really dislike it.
Age Range: 16 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it
Annotation: Can you love someone if they change every day? Can you truly trust someone who inhabits a new life, a new body every time you see them? And can they afford to love you, given how much they could hurt you if they wanted? David Levithan does a wonderful job exploring these questions and the reprecussions of leading a wanderer's life in Every Day.

No comments: