After

Reader: Annika M
Age: 14
Title: After
Author: Amy Efaw
Publisher: Viking
Pub Date: 8/2009
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
How would you convince someone to read this book: I would tell him/her it’s a book about a girl who abandoned her baby in the dumpster, that’s trying to get out of jail. I would make sure to say the main character isn't self-centered. Usually in books with someone in jail, the person is snotty, or innocent, which gets old pretty fast.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The most compelling aspect is the point of view. There are many stories about the babies who've been abandoned, but not many tell the side of the mother.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I wasn't disappointed in any way!
Comments: This is one of the books you can never put down, no matter how hard you try.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: The cover did tempt me to pick up the book, though I didn't notice the biggest detail (The pregnant belly on the reflection) until after I finished the book. Something about the reflection on the cover is really intriguing. I guess I'm just obsessed with shiny stuff.
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: