The Roar

Reader: Megan W
Age: 17
Title: The Roar
Author: Emma Clayton
Publisher: The Chicken House
Pub Date: 04/01/09
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This plot is extremely original. What would the world be like if animals turned against us? How would we survive? That is what this book is all about. It is set in the future, and people are living behind a massive wall to protect themselves from animals that have caught The Plague, which made animals turn savage and kill everything within sight. It is a fascinating tale that captivated me from the beginning.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I was spellbound as I read this book. While I discovered this "Secret" of the story from the beginning (or at least had a general idea) I was still captivated. I've always loved stories set in the future, and I really enjoyed the post-apocalyptic feel of this particular story. I thought it was a cool twist of the story to have people afraid of animals. They've been hiding behind this massive wall for 43 years, absolutely terrified of animals. I couldn't help but think to myself how awful it would be to not be able to see grass, trees, a blue sky (for they live in a super crowded polluted city) or to live a life without any animals at all. The Roar made me realize that I've taken for granted the simple things of life. My cat in particular benefited from this book; every time I put it down, I would pet her because I needed a normal, loving animal. :]
Were you disappointed with the book at all: There is really only one thing that bothered me. (Well, two actually) One, I got really annoyed throughout the book when "The Secret" was mentioned but never explained. It drove me mad that I had to wait until the very end of the book to find out what it was. It was simply aggravating. Another thing that bothered me was that I didn't know that this book was being set up for a sequel. I really don't want to have to wait for the next book; I want to know what happens now.
Comments: Even though I'm pretty sure this book is aimed towards the preteen age group, I still enjoyed it immensely.
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: I love the futuristic look with the Star Wars-ish hover car/space ship in the center with the tall buildings in the air behind it. What really makes me love this cover though is the lion's face faded in the background. You don't necessarily realize it right away, but when you do it seems as if the lion is lurking in the background, ever watchful. Everything fit the book really well. In my opinion, it is the perfect cover.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: 12-13
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: