Ghost Huntress: The Awakening

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 14
Title: Ghost Huntress: The Awakening
Author: Marley Gibson
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Pub Date: May 2008
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince to read book: Like many others, I have a void in my heart shaped like the Ghostbusters. I miss them, specifically. It's been over twenty years since the original movie came out, and viewing the cartoons can only heal the deep hurt in my heart for so long. So I was hoping this book would help me move on with my life, and get over my mourning.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: And what can I say, it worked. Mostly. This book is no great literature, but it is a fun and entertaining read. It does take ghosts/ghost hunting/psychic powers more seriously than I do, (actually, more seriously than I take just about anything) and at times is a little too new-agey for my tastes. But it never dwells on the crunchy granola-ness for too long, and is quite content to move on to more interesting things, which kept the book moving at a nice, brisk pace.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I did like the characters, they seemed real to me. My one hang-up with them is actually less specific to this book, more about YA literature in general. And because I'm the one writing this, and you are reading it (and it's on the internet!), my opinion is suddenly valider than it would be otherwise. And that opinion is that the main character's friends are always eager to forgive, no matter what. As soon as the character apologizes, the friendship bounces back, and is stronger than ever. Um, has that ever actually happened? Ever? Answer: No. When you fight with a friend, the fight is still there, even after you've made up. It's awkward, and it takes days (minimum) to dissolve it, and have it no longer hanging over your heads. But in fiction, a main character could become a serial killer, murder everyone in the friend's family, hang their mutilated corpses from a tree, and wear their entrails as jewelry, then light the friend's home on fire and read their diary out loud in the style of Snarf from Thundercats in front of the friend's crush, and all it would take is one "I'm sorry" for it all to be back to normal. And the friend would sneak a nail file to the main character in prison, and then drive the getaway car. That has never happened ever. Ever. Not once in the history of mankind did anyone over about 7 and a half forgive and forget. I may be cynical, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em, and you don't have to keep reading if you really disagree with me that much. Actually, you're at the end of the review anyway, so ha! Hahahahahahaha! Haha!
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: I like this cover. It's got swirlies and squiggles on it, it's visually interesting without being overwhelming, and it's purple. Need I say more?
Age Range: Under 12, 12-13, 14-15
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: