Fire

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 14
Title: Fire
Author: Kristan Cashore
Publisher: Dial Books
Pub Date: Sept. 2009
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Fire is about a girl named... wait for it... wait for it…Fire. Yet another fiction protagonist who is so beautiful it's a curse, (problems I wish I had!) Fire is a slightly dull yet strong and tough character. This book is slightly boringer (I just made that up. It's a word now.) than Cashore's previous novel, Graceling, focusing less on trekking through mountains and fighting bobcats and more on political intrigue Fire is still worth reading.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: As I said, Fire is a boring character. It's a really bad sign when the side characters seem deeper and more interesting than the lead. Yet I kept reading despite my limited patience for politically charged plots. So what kept me reading? To be honest, your guess is as good as mine. My vote is Jedi mind trick, and I applaud the author on creating a book that will hold an extremely finicky reader's interest even when it's not enthralling.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: I did like Fire, don't get me wrong, (as a matter of fact, I framed the book poster, which is currently hanging in my room) but I didn't like certain aspects of the book. In both of Cashore's books, the lead uses a magical birth control/morning after pill plant objects that prevents pregnancy. Now, I understand that this is responsible on the part of the character, but it feels a little cop-outty on the part of the author because it means the character can pretty much sleep with whomever she so pleases without fear or consequences. Neither of the characters have used the plant/drug/plot device to sleep with anyone other than their respective designated love interests, but still. The book is also a little slow going and got a few basic anatomy rules wrong, (if a woman is sterile, she will no longer menstruate, for one.) but for the most part, was a pretty interesting read. I would definitely recommend it, especially to fantasy fans.
Did the cover tempt you: Someone at Dial books is a freakin' genius, they keep creating gorgeous and simple covers for Kristan Cashore, the lucky dog.
Age Range: 12-13, 14-15
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: