The Meaning of Maggie - YA Review by Ruby F



Reader: Ruby F.
Age: 13
Title: The Meaning of Maggie
Author: Megan Jean Sovern
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Pub Date: 05/06/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: The Meaning of Maggie was a book unlike any other book I've read. Maggie Mayfield is an eleven-year-old who plans to be future president, is a shareholder in Coca Cola, and is the smartest kid in her grade. For her birthday, Maggie receives a leather bound notebook that she decides to write her memoir in, and I found that reading from her perspective is more interesting than I originally perceived. I was impressed with how, even though Maggie is young, the book was very interesting and unique. Maggie developed in many different ways throughout the story, whether it was learning how to ignore her antagonizing sisters or bite her tongue when she heard an answer she didn't quite agree with. Maggie made me laugh a lot, and this book was the kind of story I could re-read over and over again without getting tired of it.
Memorable or Forgettable: I loved this book because Maggie was unlike any other fictional character that I've read. She was headstrong and so confident in herself, that she was more surprised than upset when she was wrong. Even though the book was from her view and she didn't specify every single detail of her daily life, in some of the situations I can almost imagine what she's thinking. I love the author's style of writing and overall, the book itself as well.
Cover: At first the only reason I decided to check out the book was because of the cover. It was unique and fun, and after reading the book, the cover seems very appropriate.
Age Range: Under 12 through 13
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  coming of age / ya lit



No comments: