Quarantine: The Burnouts - YA Review by Simon D-S



Reader: Simon D-S
Age: 13
Title: Quarantine: The Burnouts (Book Three)
Author: Lex Thomas
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub Date: 07/22/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: The book had good plot movement with the author finishing the plot points from the other books, as well as introducing new ones. However, the characters all seemed broken and scary. I wanted to hide in a corner from a previously balanced character cast. To the author's credit however, I could visualize the entire book in high definition. (Not always a good thing.) As I said about the other books, this book could easily be made into a movie. I found the ending to be realistic, and overall, it made a good finale. However, the author could have easily made another book about the outside world, as the characters barely get to experience it, which disappointed me.
Memorable or Forgettable: I found myself cringing at 65% of the book, as all of the characters were horribly screwed up from being locked in a school for a couple years. The author gets into the disgusting and gritty parts of the universe that no one wants to get into. A lot of the time I was saying inside: "AAAAA! Help me.! Get me out of here!" That summed up the book for me.
Cover: The cover doesn't tie into anything in the book, it just adds to the post-apocalyptic feel. The reason I picked the book up is because it was the finale to the trilogy.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags:  science fiction / dystopian / Quarantine series / ya lit




No comments: