Absent - YA Review by Tori H.



Reader: Tori H.
Age: 13
Title: Absent
Author: Katie Williams
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Pub Date: 05/21/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: Absent has good character development with change throughout the book, an interesting plot, and is good at keeping you hooked.
Memorable or Forgettable: What made it memorable to me is that this book had a new plot that was interesting and not done to death (like some dystopian books with a female protagonist and some sort of testing). It was a good book that was new and fun.
Cover: It was a pretty cover, but it was a neutral in meaning. It wasn't tempting or repelling, and it definitely didn't reflect the contents of the book. It was a moth with an upside down moth right underneath it. You have to finish the book to finally know what it means. It is a strange cover.
Age Range: under 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it
Additional Comments: I loved it!
Annotation: I am a high school student, at least I was. I have just died in high school by falling off the roof, or at least I thought I fell. I am now stuck in high school, hearing this rumor that I actually jumped. I can't do anything about it, because I'm a ghost and nobody can hear me, except for the two other ghosts here. I soon discovered that I can now jump into people who are thinking about me, and do actions for them, but they can take it all back once I am out of them. Will I fix the rumor about my death? Or did I really jump? Read the book to find out.

tags: fantasy / paranormal / ghosts / contemporary / romance / death / mystery / horror / ya lit




No comments: