Bi-Normal - YA Review by AJ G.


Reader: AJ G.
Age: 17
Title: Bi-Normal
Author: M.G. Higgins
Publisher: Saddleback Educational Publishing, Inc.
Pub Date: 07/01/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I thought this book was cute. It wasn't very complicated, or overly sweet or overly sad. It was a quick story about a guy discovering his sexual identity. It was sort of funny, and had its ups and downs. Ultimately, I'd say this is less of a book that you SHOULD read, and more of a book you COULD read, if you're really stuck for a book and don't feel like getting very invested in it. There was nice character development, to make up for the lack of a plot. Everything was fairly exaggerated to get across the point that he was in a conservative town. However, the main character was adorably dumb.
Memorable or Forgettable: This was a fairly forgettable book. I can't remember any character names, major details, nothing. I just remember the rough plot, which was pretty cookie cutter. It was a fun read, but not something I really felt like I connected to or got invested in. It was like a fluff novel for guys.
Cover: The cover made NO sense. It took me weeks to figure out that it was supposed to be hands holding. But nobody held hands the entire book. And you can't tell that they're hands. I would've preferred almost anything. A truck. A baseball diamond. Literally anything from the story.
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags: LGBTQ / contemporary / realistic fiction / ya lit



No comments: