Perfect Escape - YA Review by Sophie D



Reader: Sophie D
Age: 17
Title: Perfect Escape
Author: Jennifer Brown
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pub Date: 7/10/12
Galley: No
Top 25: Yes
Convince us to read the book: The thing that I loved most about this book was how Kendra's insecurities were clear to the reader from the beginning, but it took her the whole book to figure them out for herself. You could almost imagine yourself interacting with her while she went on this journey. Kendra's voice was so strong and real that you got a perfect idea of what she would be like to be around. And she wasn't perfect. She was a very real person, someone that I could imagine meeting and understanding. Also, her brother, Grayson, was not treated just as someone with OCD. He was also a very real person, also someone that I could imagine in my own life.
Memorable or Forgettable: The honesty of the dialogues, both inner and outer, was memorable and really stuck out to me. I was thinking about this book days after I finished it, wondering over the decisions of some characters, and thinking about how they were similar to me.
Cover: The cover is OK. The orange lettering is very striking, but I don't think the pictures are anything special.
Age Range: 12 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Annotation: Kendra has always strove to be the perfect child-which is difficult when she is constantly shadowed by her older brother whose OCD at times threatens to overwhelm her family. But when Kendra decides to take her brother on a road trip, escaping for her problems and trying to solve his, she will be forced to confront the unpleasant truths about herself.

tags:  OCD / coming of age / road trip / ya lit



No comments: