The Six Rules of Maybe


Reader: Ada
Age: 17
Title: The Six Rules of Maybe
Author: Deb Caletti
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub Date: 03/2011
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens Top 10: Yes
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: The characters in the book are so complex; you just can't help but identify with them. They are definitely not the most idyllic family. They have their issues, but that's what makes it so real. For example, you absolutely hate Scarlet's sister but you end up feeling the same sort of love that Scarlet feels towards her even if you still hate part of her.
Compelling aspects of the book: I thought the relationship between Hayden and Scarlet was the most intriguing. Not to give too much away, but there are definitely some sparks flying there. At the end, I was a mix of feelings, both happy and slightly disappointed. But overall, the romance was definitely a major plot-mover.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes
Reasons why you were disappointed with the book: I was slightly disappointed at the end. I wanted... another ending but was still satisfied at the end. I had invested so much and hoping for a particular ending but it turned out differently. I guess that's life though, giving you those unexpected but satisfying twists.
Cover: I thought the cover was not that intriguing. It was mostly the fact that it was Deb Caletti that drew me to this book. The cover was relevant however in describing her favorite beach.
Age Range: 16-18+
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal
Comments: I originally picked this book up because I am in love with Deb Caletti's writing style. I felt that this book still had elements of those moments that had so captured my heart in her book Stay, but they weren't as prominent. Also, I felt that the plot in this one was a bit more whimsical and non-realistic than in Stay. This book is definitely a good one that people should read but go into it with a clear mind. I still had baggage from her other books and so was slightly disappointed with it compared to her other books.

No comments: