Nightshade


Reader: Ada
Age: 17
Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Penguin
Pub Date: 10/2010
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I thought the amount of background and history that Cremer put into the werewolf society was really neat. Most supernatural books just expect you to accept all of this assumed history and weight about their culture. I also thought it was cool that the werewolves actually existed in our world. They interacted with humans and the main character was actually in a love triangle with one of them. Usually, the humans are either seen as food or are just non-existent in the plot.
Compelling aspects of the book: The romance was definitely the coolest part of the novel. I liked how the characters are still in high school so you get that realistic, tension-in-the-hallways feel to the novel. Also, the love that exists between Cal and Ren. They seem to love each other, but it's an imposed love, more of an attraction. Both romances seem so real, I actually didn't know which one would win out until the very end. And even here, I'm still guessing.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes
Reasons why you were disappointed with the book: One thing that I didn't like was the ending. It was very abrupt and I didn't really know what to think. I know that there is a sequel coming out, and I hate it when so many new series' books end like this. They expect you to just wait there on your couch until the next book comes along. Well, I need a conclusive ending to my novels. A book needs a beginning, middle, and an end. I feel that some authors are confusing the ending part of the novel with another beginning that I know frustrates a lot of readers.
Cover: I thought the cover was actually really cool. It definitely had that ethereal look to it that was part of the novel since it's about werewolves.
Age Range: 14-17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal
Comments: This book was overall pretty good. I like Cal and admired her for her strength. I thought the pack dynamics were interesting, and I liked how the author wove wolf dynamics into a human-like society with dominant alphas, etc. I thought the rival pack units were cool, and the additional romances were a nice touch. Overall, I would say that if you love romance, can't get enough of it, then this is a good book for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear TKB:

I'm an award-winning author with a new YA book out this fall. Ugly To Start With is published by West Virginia University Press.

Can I interest you in reviewing it?

If you email me at johnmcummings@aol.com, I will send you further information. Or if you google "Ugly To Start With John Michael Cummings," some information will come up.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Kindly,

John Michael Cummings