Bloodwitch - YA Review by Solvi W


Reader: Solvi W.
Age: 15
Title: Bloodwitch (The Maeve'ra)
Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pub Date: 05/13/14
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: I liked how unique the plot and world of the story were; this is definitely not your typical vampire story. Unfortunately the book seemed a bit complicated and fast-paced, and I feel like the author could have taken her time to add some scenes and deepen certain characters, like Malachi and Jeshickan. I suspect this will be a series, but I'm not sure, so as a single book my recommendations would be to slow down, but keep the action.
Memorable or Forgettable: The setting was in a kind of Victorian European country, but Aztec culture was also a very strong theme, which made the world interesting and memorable. Some of the characters were also pretty cool. I loved the main character, Vance, because he was so relatable despite his naivete. I was a little disappointed that some of the other intriguing characters didn't seem to get their share of attention.
Cover: The cover art is colorful but mysterious. The subjects of the cover also referenced elements of the story: winter woods, and a bird feather.
Age Range: 14 through 17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 2P Only for special interest
Additional Comments: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' books seem to have gotten similar comments. I haven't read any of these beyond this one, but I agree with their reviews.


tags:  fantasy / paranormal / vampires / shape-shifters / ya lit



No comments: