Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer - YA Review by Brooke H


Reader: Brooke H
Age: 15
Title: Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer
Author: Katie Alender
Publisher: Point, imprint of Scholastic
Pub Date:  09/24/13
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: Honestly, when I first saw this book, I thought it looked absolutely ridiculous. I grabbed it, however, because I had read and liked another book by the author, and I have a crazy obsession with Marie Antoinette. Despite what I had originally thought. . . I actually really enjoyed the book. It tied in mystery and murder (murders happening throughout Paris) with history (French culture and a certain controversial queen). This book had a lot of mystery and suspense with a dose of romance, and I loved how the antagonist happened to be my favorite historical figure. And let's not forget the cute French guy. You can NEVER go wrong in books with cute French guys. :)
Memorable or Forgettable: I thought the most memorable thing about this book was Marie Antoinette, portrayed as a hate-filled ghost with a craving for revenge. I was glad that they included some history and facts about her, because many people, including most of my friends, have no idea who she is. Another memorable aspect was the setting: France. Now I want to go to France after reading this! I also love how the character of Colette grew throughout the book in her judgment and choices.
Cover: The cover was memorable and definitely reflected the contents . . . but it actually turned me off. If not for my love of all things Marie Antoinette, I probably would not have read it at all. As I mentioned before, the cover made me make an immediate conclusion that the contents must be ridiculous. Also, it was pretty embarrassing to carry around. As a book-lover, I get asked a lot what I'm reading, so I would have to show people when asked, and they would look at me with a face that plainly said, "I thought you were above something like that," and I would find myself having to defend my choice to read it. I think that this book defines the phrase, "Don't judge a book by it's cover."
Age Range: 12 through 17
Quality: 4Q Better than most
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

tags: mystery / thriller / historical fiction / romance / ya lit




No comments: