Reader: Sabrina
Age: 18
Title: Wonderstruck   
Author: Brian Selznick
Publisher: Scholastic
Galley: Yes
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: This book goes into depth about the world of deaf people. It was fascinating to not only read the narrative of Ben but to see the pictures of how his grandmother's Rose adventure to New York as well.The pictures where a bit confusing at first. I would have preferred if the book started off as text so that it would initiate the beginning of the pictures. I loved though how the picture and the text coincided with one another contextually. The author had a strong voice for his characters and made them dimensional. Though the pictures where informative, I would have liked to know more about Rose.
Memorable or Forgettable: What made this book memorable was the characters fascination with museums, specifically curating. This was very intriguing for someone that is an fascinated as well with museums and history and to have a bit of a glimpse into the lives of others who are fascinated with such as well.
Cover: The cover did tempt me to pick up the book because it was so bold. Mostly though, I picked up the book because I had heard from others that Brian Selznick was a fantastic author, so I was pressured into reading this book.
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal
Additional Comments: I wish there would have been an epilogue of some sort saying what happened to Ben. Does he stay in New York with his Grandmother or does he go back to Minnesota?

No comments: