City of Fallen Angels

Reader: Elise S.
Age: 15
Title: City of Fallen Angels
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderberry
Pub Date: 2011
Galley: No
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Annotation: The action heats up in this next installation of the Mortal Instruments series with demon possession, age old vampires, secret cults, and relationship drama. Old foes return, an unexpected enemy asserts herself, and Shadowhunter and Downworlder must once again work together to defeat evil.
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I was very skeptical entering this book. It's a sequel that is following a perfect, adorable ending, and had a high danger of ruining the series by being a cheap money-maker. However, I was quickly enchanted. The characters were consistent and real, the plot was original and fast-paced, and I was surprised over and over. However, I would suggest before reading that you refresh on the last book, because, in the time lapse, some of the finer points are really important.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: Cassandra Clare spins mystery so well, that it sucked me in. Some of the most relateable characters, especially the girls who ignore their protective boyfriends and stand up for themselves against all enemies (and could give Bella a lesson), were back with new issues. Also, all of their actions were explained. Jace had a huge problem with fear of losing Clary, but it was okay, because he had a reason, unlike some sparkly idiots I could name. I was literally left screaming into a pillow by the end, and shaking dust from my grandma's ceiling.
Cover: The main reasons that I like this cover is that, a) it connects to the series and has little stuff you can pick up on from the book, and b) it's shiny. How can you not like shiny things? Like with City of Ash, the Clary moel is decent, and I (as a red head myself) am extremely jealous of the shiny hair. If only. However, the Simon model is far lacking. Simon is supposed to be pale, and NOT THAT BUFF! They got lucky with Clary, because models irritate me. It feels like they're dictating what I should think. If I want that, I'll go to a movie. In the other Mortal Instruments books, at least they didn't show their faces.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Range: Under 12 to 17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: