Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Reader: Elise S
Age: 14
Title: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Author: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Pub Date: Oct. 26th
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Annotation: When Dash finds a red notebook containing dares written by a stranger named Lily, adventure beckons. As they exchange the dreams, dares, and true wishes in the notebook, both of their dream soul mates seem to be growing, but when they finally meet face to face, will all of their ideals become reality?
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: This is the ideal, but realistic romance. Both the characters are very relateable, funny, wonderful, and just real. Both Dash and Lily had quirks that made me think they could be alive somewhere (I hope), and weren't forced. The perpetual nerdiness made very VERY happy! Creativity was brimming from every page. Basically, it's the best romance I've ever read, and I am very jealous of the characters. (Contemplating starting my own notebook - definitely.)
Compelling Aspect of the Book: The characters were the absolute best part. People like that bolster my faith in the human race. The idea that two strangers were willing to take that kind of risk, without freaking out about "Oh no, it's a creeper" paranoia was very refreshing. Dash and Lily were amazingly, wonderfully, awesomely nerdy. I learned some new words, and laughed out loud.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Did it have to end?
Comments: Another great thing about this book was that the entire romance wasn't focused on sex, which was fabulous. This is how I want my romance to be.
Cover: I must admit that the cover wasn't particularly to my taste. It fit the book, was colorful, and creative (love the title and authors on the signs). However, when I see books like this, I usually think of fluff. Lots of it. The heart-shaped snowflakes were a tad overboard. The heart on the light already gives enough of that huggy feel to it.
Did you finish: Yes
Age Rang: 12-18 and up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it

No comments: