The Rules - YA Review by Dana F



Reader: Dana F.
Age: 14
Title: The Rules
Author: Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Pub Date: 06/23/15
Galley: No
Top 25: No
Convince us to read the book: The Rules has a wide cast of narrators, each with their own rules they live by. The motives and actions of the characters are very well laid out within the plot of this book. The development of the characters didn't really happen, but that wasn't the point of the book. Speaking of the plot, this was a great horror/thriller. I couldn't figure out who the murderer was until the end of the book. 
Memorable or Forgettable: I don't really read that many horror or mystery novels, so this was a new experience for me. It was a  little gory for my taste, but it would make a great movie. Like I said, the motives of the characters were very well thought out, but as most of them died at various points in the book, there wasn't much development. The one thing I really didn't think was necessary was the prologue, which just made me confused as it didn't stay consistent with the rest of the book.
Cover: I liked this cover, it reflected the mystery of the book. It vaguely reflected the contents.
Age Range: 14 through 18 and up
Quality: 4Q - Better than most
Popularity: 4P - Broad general teen appeal


tags: thriller / suspense / ya lit



No comments: