Level Up


Reader: Payton
Age: 15
Title: Level Up
Author: Gene Luen Yang
Publisher: First Second
Pub Date: 2011
Galley: Yes
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: No
Recommend: Yes
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I liked that a majority of the story was a Pacman reference. It was also interesting that it was a cartoon style comic book. Other than that, though, it wasn't very good.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Yes
Reason why you were disappointed: I was slightly disappointed with the book. It was a very dumbed down version of a plot that had potential for greatness. I did finish it, but only because it was a quick read. I don't think I would have if it hadn't been a comic book.
Cover: I really love this cover. It looks like a Gameboy Color, or a super old Nintendo. It made me stop and look twice at it. It also was the perfect cover for the story. I wouldn't change it at all.
Age Range: Under 12-13
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: