How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend


Reader: GuananĂ­
Age: 15
Title: How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend
Author: Gary Ghislain
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Pub Date: 06/2011
Galley: No
Top10: No
Recommend: Yes
Convince us to read the book: I wouldn't recommend this to all my friends, only the ones I'm sure enjoy really weird books. I would say that it is a story about a dull French kid whose life gets a lot more interesting when he falls in love with one of his dad's psychiatric patients who happens to be a supergirl alien on a mission to bring Johnny Depp back to her planet.
Compelling aspects of the book: Besides the silliness of the main concept, I was impressed by the depth of the characters, the quick pacing and careful conclusion to the story. The world-building of Zelda the alien girl's planet is well developed and often humorous as well as intimidating. I particularly enjoyed reading the character of Malou (sarcastic, partying step-sister) and David's mom (strict, materialistic neglectful lawyer) and watching them clash with the whole alien situation.
Were you disappointed with the book at all: This book was better than I expected, so I wasn't disappointed. It was an enjoyable quick read.
Cover: The cover is really nothing special, just black with stars and some random butterflies (Why? Butterflies have nothing to do with anything!). What really jumps out is the absolutely ridiculous title, which perfectly describes a deeply absurd and entertaining story.
Age Range: 14-17
Quality: 3Q Readable
Popularity: 3P Some teen appeal

No comments: