A Monster Calls


Title: A Monster Calls
Convince us to read the book: A Monster Calls is a book that really blew me away: the intricate, splattery ink illustrations matched the tone of the words so well that they melded together to tell a single story, which was simple yet tackled many big questions about death and morality. The prose style was crisp and intense, and had my eyes glued to the page.
Memorable or Forgettable: This book is particularly memorable because of its original premise (a boy wakes up from a recurring nightmare to find a tree monster at his window, but is more afraid of his dream and dealing with his mother’s illness than the monster, who turns out to not be so much of a monster at all…) and it’s unusual illustrations. It really struck home for me because I could relate to what the character was experiencing and the way the story was told was so beautiful.
Cover: I picked up the book because I was immediately attracted to the ink drawing of a monster on the cover, and also its unusual squarish shape. It matched the contents perfectly.
Age Range: 12-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: