Chasing Brooklyn


Reader: Megan W
Age: 17
Title: Chasing Brooklyn
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub Date: 01/05/10
Galley: No
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Annotation: "After death it is hard to think of what to do next. I think that Schroeder really wove together a beautiful tale about life and death, and reaching out to those that are close to us when we need them."
Recommend: Yes
How would you convince someone to read the book: I think the only way to convince them is to just give them a summary of the book. A girl's boyfriend, Lucca, has been dead for a year when all of a sudden his best friend kills himself. The girl, Brooklyn, is trying to cope with Lucca's death, and now the death of his best friend as well. The best friend and Lucca both come back to Earth as ghosts; Lucca to his brother and the best friend, Gabe, to Brooklyn.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: I found the book amazingly good because I could relate to the characters in the book who were dealing with Lucca and Gabe's deaths. It was good for me to read about them, and read about their coping methods to move on from death. I loved how Brooklyn was able to open up to Lucca's brother, Nico.
Did you finish: Yes
Were you disappointed with the book at all: Chasing Brooklyn, to me, was a really sweet book about how we all need to move on after a death. It's not fun, and it's never easy, but we always have people around us to help us up after we fall. We need to appreciate the life that we have, because it is short. This book really made me think, and helped me a bit with what has been going on in my life. I believe that people can relate to this book, even if they've never experienced a death of someone close to them. It's a good, sweet book that anyone can enjoy.
Did it reflect the contents: The cover of Chasing Brooklyn is very intriguing? There are different shades of blue, which makes it look sad. There is also a girl at a rainy window, which gives the book a mysterious feeling. I think the cover is very interesting, and it fits
the book very well
Age Range: 16-17
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 4P Broad general teen appeal

No comments: