The Graveyard Book

Reader: Meghan K
Age: 14
Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaimen
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pub Date: 2008
Galley: No
Nominate for Teens’ Top 10: Yes
Did the cover tempt you and/or reflect the contents of the book: This is a great cover. I will now share something I just noticed. The cut out on the tombstone? It's a silhouette of a boy's face. Awesomesauce.
Recommend: Yes
Convince to read book: Have you read The Graveyard Book? If the answer is "No," then what the heck are you doing? Seriously, get in your car RIGHT NOW and drive to the bookstore, and buy a copy. I can wait.
Done? Good. Okay, now open it. Read. Now. Else I shall find you, and make you read it. I don't know how, but I will.
In more actually convincing terms, The Graveyard Book is everything you could possibly ask for in a book. Murder, mystery, ghosts, love lost, love found, and then lost again. It's simply wonderful. It's not so scary enough kids won't read it, but it's scary enough they will. It's suspenseful, intelligent, lyrical... This book is everything. Really.
It's that good.
Compelling Aspect of the Book: Neil Gaimen is simply one of the most talented modern authors. His characters are so well-written, so realistic you'd expect to see them in your homeroom tomorrow, yet so fantastic you'd expect to only see them in myth. They're just awesome. This book is made of awesome. The characters are made of awesome. You simply MUST know what happens next. Which is why I should stop wasting your time, so you can get reading. Don't worry, I don't mind. I'm reading, too.
Age Range: Under 12, 12-13, 14-15, 16-17, 18 up
Quality: 5Q Hard to imagine a better book
Popularity: 5P Everyone wants to read it

No comments: